Tuesday, April 23, 2013

talking points 11

So I started on google. That was kind of difficult. I found some articles. From one of the articles this quote "Radio, television, film, and the other products of media culture provide materials out of which we forge our very identities; our sense of selfhood; our notion of what it means to be male or female; our sense of class, of ethnicity and race, of nationality, of sexuality; and of "us" and "them." Media images help shape our view of the world and our deepest values: what we consider good or bad, positive or negative, moral or evil."

Teenagers view images in the media.  Images are all around. The statement above is very true. Teens are influenced by everything around them.  It actually starts earlier then the teenage years.  I think it starts from birth pretty much.  I don't think its always from the media though.  I think its from the people around us. The people around us weither it be family or friends have a major influence on who we are and who we become. However we do have our own minds and make our own decisions.
One of the videos I chose was from youtube and it is a teenagers responding to the types of images he saw as a child.










I can also say this the shows and programs I watched when I was little are not as funny now. Also the shows that were on when I was little would not be on today. Like Ren and Stimpy Rocco's Modern Life, Roundhouse, and many others.
I also used one of the videos that another classmate used but a different one.

I like in the video the teen that was saying that you should wear what you want no matter what everyone says. I do think Macklemore is a good example. I think he shows that you can be who you want to be no matter what anyone says.  I think if good images are put out in the media as well as bad images they'll have more examples of what to see or what to take in.  Its all on what we take in and what we watch. Another thing I want to mention is Hate is not taught. Hate is learned .  If hate was not taught like it was then we would be in a more peaceful world although I think that there will always be hate because some people are judgmental and  think their view is the right view.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    I agree with you on the idea that young persons should be allowed to wear what they want rather then what they should wear because society says so... or else you'll be judged. I think it is a huge part of self-expression and for (teens) to express these truths is a form of fighting dominant ideas of a ambiguous moment of time for young people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Macklemore and i wish they played more of his music because it is so influencial to people our age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your videos are great ! i like how you took the most overplayed song - thrift shop - and showed the positives about it! i would have never thought of this. great work with that. its crazy how much the media can connect and DISconnect people from reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with you, and we kinda talkd about this in class a while back about my scarf i wore the first day. teens should be able to wear what they want without being judged by society. even tho society is funny sometimes like accepting this skinny jeans trend they should be more accepting to other things as well

    ReplyDelete