Sunday, February 3, 2013

Unlearning the myths that Bind Us Linda Christensen argument

This author Linda Christensen argues that "Our society's culture industry colonizes their minds and teaches them how to act, live, and dream. The indoctrination hits young children especially hard." When young children/ young adults view movies, cartoons, magazines, tv; these images tend to influence what happens in their daily lives. This makes children believe that they have a certain image to follow and maintain. Some of these images tend to fit certain stereotypes and tends to not really represent what is real in todays society.  If people believe that the media doesn't have any power over them at all this is not true.  Media and other related things have lots of control over us.  The things images etc that we view on a daily basis is quite outstanding. When I was little and used to watch a lot of movies a lot of the disney movies that involved princesses that fit that pretty girl need to be saved by a prince sort of stereotype. Now if I went back to watch these movies I would see a great difference in them. I would view them with a since of more knowing society and how they are pictured.  The author makes another good point in the article about how the students try to argue that they are not influenced by media yet here they sit/stand in their name brand clothing. While a lot of what the author has to say is true.  I think as time changes media and other aspects of media start to change. While some media images have had a negative impact on us I think other images have had a positive impact on us. A movie that is not mentioned in this article is a movie called Brave. Brave is about a princess who wants to be her own savior she does not want to marry. She wants to have fun and enjoy life and not be tied down by a marriage. So while media does affect us as children and adults. It has positive aspects and negative aspects and it all depends on how we take them and understand them.

How has things that we have seen as children influence us nowadays?

4 comments:

  1. I really Enjoyed reading this. I have a very similar view point, especially as someone who practically breathed Disney. And despite my love of Disney, even as a child I felt very disconnected from many of the Princesses. It wasn't until Disney movies had female protagonists who did more than get rescued by the prince that I felt I could connect with a movie (Probably why my least favorites are Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty).
    I also completely agree with you about the media being able to send being able to send good messages. Although I don't believe that this is at odds with Christensen's article. Because she wrote the article in 1994 and she wanted teenagers to have the means to be able to make a difference someday, I would like to look at it as is "Brave" was a result of those efforts. Students who grew up knowing what the impact of "pretty princesses" may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your response to the article about there being positive media representation out there connects perfectly with the reading that we did last week! Like, how there are some mediums that always portray the dominant ideology, and then there are some that challenge that ideology. I can agree with that to a certain extent. I think there are a lot of mediums out there that try to challenge the ideology and then end up perpetuating horrible stereotypes and hidden racism. BUT, I do think that every once in a while we get GOOD representation, for sure. :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think media is good and bad as well. Its like Dr. Bogad always says we are in the water but we can chose a branch and hold on or just go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea i agree with brooke the media is good and bad just in different cases

    ReplyDelete