Monday, February 11, 2013

a tangle of discourses quotes


"A powerful, pervasive story about adolescence is that it is a clear, predictable (but turbulent) stage that teenagers inevitably undergo as they grow into adulthood. " This statement is true and untrue all teenagers go through adolescents. Some may consider adolescents a bit awkward. I think it all depends on how the teenager goes through that adolescent period.  I think it all depends on what happens and what kind of events are thrown your way.  We all have different experiences and some of our lives are much more difficult or different then others. In my honest opinion I don't think adolescents is at all times predictable. Adolescents is a time of ups, downs and spirals. It all depends on what direction we take and all the twists and turns along the way.


"Adolescence is discursively framed as a stage that seems to require a degree of self-refection, it is also marginalized (in terms of voice and self-refection) and often laced with current, popular concern about adolescents as dangerous, ungoverned and in need of control." All in all this is a well said statement. Adolescence is a time where teenagers not all the time but sometimes need guidance in everyday happenings.  I don't think we necessarily have to control this time period in a teenagers life but we do need to sometimes push them along the way.  Some teenagers are free spirited and some even like to live by their own rules. At times this may be dangerous but other times teens need the ball in their own court. Sometimes they need to make their own rules. As adults we can help them along the way but at times we won't always be there to help them. They need to learn how to do it on their own.


"I know with my parents sometimes they’ll turn things around. Like when they want me to take responsibility for something they’ll say you’re supposed to act like an adult...but then um when I am whatever taking responsibility or when I’m out for the whole day doing my own things and then I want to go to a party or something they’ll say ‘you’re not 21’. (Vienna) " Parents do sometimes put a lot of responsibilities onto teens. I think some parents do this because they know their teens can handle this. I however don't think its fair when parents are contradicting of what they originally say. I know teens can be confusing but parents can be just as confusing. Like teens they can mean one thing and say another. I defiantly experienced this as a adolescent but I also had a very rough time during this period. All most parents want is whats best for their children. They want them to succeed in the best way possible. In order to do that I think teens sometimes need clear cut rules guidelines and not have their parent or parents confusing them.


Do you think adolescents are predictable ? Why or Why not? And do you think they should have more control in their lives ? Why or why not?


6 comments:

  1. Good questions. I agree with you that it depends on the person and their circumstances, so adolescents may not be predictable. I think everybody lives a different life too. Even though we almost all go to school and have our friends and go through a similar daily routine, our home and personal lives are probably very different from one another. Also, our perspectives on things are probably different which adds to making our lives different, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First may I just say that I adore that clip!
    I think it really does portray the point that you were trying to make, Youths navigate adolescence differently depending on individual situations. I think that is very true, Teenager is such a broad term that includes people from every walk of life.
    As for your question, I don't think teenagers are predictable at all. Even teens who appear to fall under one category, and one form of behavior can surprise with their opinions and actions. I also think that yes teens should be able to make many different decisions, that does not mean that I believe that they shouldn't have guidance. Some adult presence whose opinions matter, it doesn't have to be a parent but someone who can relate guide... (if that makes any sense)
    anyway interesting piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would that adolescences' are not predictable. No one is the same, and I feel that many adults think they are. It also depends on the environment the grow up in. To have more responsibility may be easy for some, were as for others, not so much.
    As Topanga said, she is unique, and so is everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eian- Good choice of quotes, your work got your classmates talking. I think you have done a great job of including media so continue to use pics/vids etc. It would be helpful to me and your classmates if you could separate by spaces or by a different text color the quotes from the text and your analysis/own words.
    CS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a great job with your post!! I used you for my extended comments! I loved your connection to Boy Meets World by the way!!! I love the show, grew up watching it so it was a great connection to teenagers and adolescents that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post and the connection you made with boys meet world. This is the a true definition of teenagers.loveeeeeeeeeeee thissssssssdssd

    ReplyDelete